Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare's Comedies
Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare's Comedies Overview
This study focuses on the courting and marrying behaviors in matrimonial enforcement suits in the London Consistory Court depositions from 1586 to 1611 and in Shakespeare's The Two Gentlemen of Verona and Twelfth Night. Linking these two different kinds of evidence, the book's detailed readings examine the roles available to women and men within courtship and marriage, probe the ways in which they perceived and contested their behaviors within these processes, and reveal females and males as agents capable of challenging the roles assigned to them.
Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare's Comedies Table Of Content
Introduction: Consenting Adults: "In the way of marriage"
• Choosing a Spouse
• Determining Marital Suitability
• Courting Behaviors: Talking, Tokens, and Touching
• Contracting Couples: Vows, Hand Holding, and Gift Giving
• Postscript: Assessing Public Fame and Mapping the Matrimonial Maze
- Book Format: Hardcover
- ISBN-13: 9780312166045
- ISBN-10: 0312166044
- Number of Pages: 240
- Dimensions: 6.00 (w) x 9.00 (h) x 0.56 (d)
- Approx Price: $86.62